Wednesday 18 March 2009

Pink Stinks

I have been told that my blog is quite girly in its design* because it's pink. Pink is the universal Girl Colour. When a man wears a pink shirt he is seen as brave, stupid or gay. So clearly, it isn't just a colour. Pink says too much to be just a colour. Which is why I avoid, like the plague, the various gimmicky pink gadgets out there.

Designed to attract women, these dodgy facias really get on my wick. Not because I'm feminist - far from it. I rue the day feminism began to get some traction. Thanks to feminism I have to go out to work, think about politics and open my own door. I could have been so happy at home baking all day. *sigh*

Feminism aside, my point is simple. Do women only wear pink, all day every day? Or do we like to think of ourselves as having quite a unique look, individual to us. We wear the eye make-up that accentuates our iris, the lipstick that plumps our lips, we wear this seasons green only to toss it aside for next seasons green. We're fickle with fashion, but we like to have the choice.

A piece of technology is usually something we tend to be less fickle about. It may be an impulse purchase, but we intend to keep it longer than the high-fashion mini** we bought for the summer months.

I'm most attracted to colour and design when there is a lot of variety...like the Flip video, or the Olympus ยต-mini (where I did actually chose pink), or the array of coloured Dell Studio Hybrids.

These products are sleek, stylish, work well and offer choice - giving that sense of being individual, even if it is mass produced (much like that high-fashion mini).

So what is it with these tacky-one-size-fits-all-garish-pink-Kappa-trouser-wearing gadgets? It appeals to a certain demographic - but it's not as broad as 'women' so please do not position it as such.


* at the time of writing it had pink boarders...I am fickle, so it's possible this may change soon

** skirt - not car

No comments:

Post a Comment