Wednesday 18 February 2009

A powerful dream

Clearly I have a bug bear about power cables and how they tend to be 'per device' even within the same brand. How often do I hear the office cry:

"Does anyone have a Nokia charger?"
"Is it the big one or small one?"

Invariably the only one to hand is not compatible.

So to my delight I see news this week that the world's biggest mobile phone makers and network operators are backing plans for a universal phone recharger.

One of the companies backing this scheme is quoted in the BBC's report as saying: "By supporting this industry initiative on common charging solutions, and enabling consumers to choose if they need a charger with every new device or can re-use existing ones, we can contribute further in improving the industry's environmental footprint."

Bollocks to that!

What it means is that I can use my husbands phone charger at home, and keep mine in the office. I can use my mums when I go and visit her - the flexibility is endless.

I have a dream, a dream of a universal-recharger utopia, where all hotels can have chargers in rooms, so you never have to fill a separate suitcase with the endless plugs and adaptors you need for a short weekend break away.

Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment