Thursday 19 February 2009

Social networking sites cause cancer

Dr Aric Sigman isn't getting enough air time anymore so has resorted to telling us that by reducing the levels of face to face contact we're having, social networking sites cause cancer.

Well hold the front page of the Daily Mail and cancel my Facebook account! Oh hang on...not sure I can delete my Facebook profile anymore! Damn those privacy rules, they're giving me cancer!

After a lot of drivel about Dr Sigman's scientific* claims, we're then told that research suggests that the number of hours people spent interacting face-to-face had fallen dramatically since 1987 as electronic media use had increased.

Riiiiiight. So since Facebook is 5 years old, that all adds up. It has nothing to do with working longer hours, commuting longer distances, living further away from loved ones, the growth of mobile telephony and text messaging? To name but a few things that have increased since 1987 and might effect the amount of time you spend meeting people face-to-face.

I probably ought to take this blog down before I get a tumour.

*scientifically proven to grab headlines

No comments:

Post a Comment